Saturday 30 October 2010

Monsters, Demons and (to quote Vincent Kennedy McMahon) Bottom Feeders.

I haven't done any reviews for ages, but don't let that fool you in to thinking i don't care any more...

My Chemical Romance - Nanana
My first thoughts on hearing this were that MCR have done a cover version of Andrew WK's Party Hard and to be honest the whole thing has a bit of an AWK vibe running through it. The problem for me is that MCR have now done the whole overdramatic thing to death. It came to its peak with Welcome to the Black Parade and just feels a bit contrived now. Surely you can't be multi-millionaires and have that much teenage angst still going on?

Linkin Park - Waiting For The End
Now if My Chemical Romance sound like they're resting on their laurels and failing to make any innovation, this sounds so comparatively laid back and traditional that i first thought that it must a typo and supposed to say it was performed by Linkin Park's Dads. Apparently not. As soon as Cheerful Chester's vocals kick in, the whole thing is recognisable, but a bit off putting. If nothing else, it is an interesting departure for Linkin Park. I doubt it will win them many new fans, but could cost them quite a few existing ones if the whole album is this downtempo lark.

Interpol - Barricade
Another band who have noticably changed their sound are Interpol. Previously merchants of highly polished, snarling electro-indie-rock, new track Barricade sees them in a much more lo-fi mood without the layers of production.

Customs - Shut Up, Narcissus
Perhaps i've become so desperate to hear proper music that when i do hear something good, it sounds incredible. The endless wander of the British music industry towards Americanised reality show music and increasingly slimy R&B and Hip Hop originating from both sides of the Atlantic is now apparently unstoppable. Even when we come up with a decent act, they'll only get minimal airtime because they don't fit in with the specific genres that the zombified populous love. Hence the success of radio stations like Heart. ANYWAY. Customs are fucking brilliant and Shut Up, Narcissus is unbelievably superb, catchy, chorus led indie pop the likes of which we haven't heard for a very long time. Imagine if Editors were a really cheerful bunch and wanted a song to play at the end of a party so that everyone would remember it forever. That is how good this song is. Customs should be on the main playlist of every radio station in the country, including Radio 3, but because they're not ten year old girls singing about sex or from a reality show, we're not allowed to like them in the UK.

...and breathe...

Kings of Leon - Radioactive
Oh deep joy. The worlds most boring rock band is back. And their comeback single isn't actually very good, but still the Great British Media falls over themselves to proclaim them as the new Jesus. Radioactive a mid-tempo, middle of the road, average, bland, boring, tedious, uneventful and stagnant wander through the land of yawn. They've even put some boring water on the record cover.

Cheryl Cole - Promise This
The latest cacophony of stupid earworms starts as soon as the record does with all this tribal-chanting Alo-etta bollocks. What is really sad is that underneath there is almost a decent song trying to get out. Potentially a half decent bit of speed-pop, it is ruined by the needless addition of elements to appeal to idiots. Expect to hear officeworkers in the queue for lunch humming the earworm bit as a demonstration of how brainwashed they have become, much like they did with Katy Perry's California Gurls.

Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me
Officially the new Sara Bareilles, Mike Posner is the latest one hit wonder to come out of American daytime radio. Cooler Than Me is a monothemed synth laded song, but it works because its a fairly original idea and it is performed with conviction.

Rihanna - The Only Girl In The World
Even if you were, i still wouldn't listen to your records. You have the most horrible, whiny voice of anyone to have ever recorded themselves.

Roll Deep & Alesha Dixon - Take Control
Please stop now. Roll Deep have roped in Alesha Dixon for this entirely unneccessary record. Its another painfully awful tome about clubbing, partying and blah blah blah. The first one sounded forced and soulless and this is worse, just milking the joyless weekend routine of a generation who don't have the imagination to decide themselves what is enjoyable, so just get hammered every weekend instead. Complete cack.

Taylor Swift - Mine
This sounds like every other Taylor Swift record. It has a cover like every other Taylor Swift record. It has a video like every other Taylor Swift record. Completely banal, syruppy toss. Perhaps she should do a collaboration with the Kings of Leon.

Haddaway featuring Eminem and Lil Wayne - No Love
Its not really a Haddaway record. Which is a shame. They could have re-released Catch A Fire, that would have been nice. Sadly, we're left with Eminem at his preachy, self indulgent worst and the most talentless man in music, Lil Wayne. Wayne has no rhythm, no flow, no ability to write anything with meaning and no fans with an IQ higher than two. I remember when people called Wayne were ridiculed for coming from Essex. Now we're supposed to buy records with them on? What ever is the world coming to?

The Black Eyed Peas - The Time
Imagine the forced jollity of I Gotta Feelin' over a cover version of I've Had The Time of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes. Horrible, isn't it? And if you can't imagine it, the Black Eyed Peas have done it for you.

Sleigh Bells - Infinity Guitars
Lo-fi nonsense. Girls shouting. Scratchy guitars. Repetitive (and overly loud) drums. If you like all of these things, then you'll love this record. It is a complete mess, trying to sound garagey, underground and like it hasn't been produced properly when in fact it's probably had millions spent on polishing the turd up to make it sound like that. I'm willing to bet that at least one of them used to be in Hepburn.

1 comment:

  1. No offense, but, judging by your comments, it appears that you are not familar with Wayne's work. He has one of the most versatile flows in rap. In regards to lyrics with meaning:

    [Lil Wayne]
    Listen
    I grew up where them people call them people on us
    Think we slangin but we just got beepers on us
    Grinding all day like we got sleep insomnia
    Living like the videos write a treatment on us
    Stuck in the hood like they poured cement on us
    Ghetto bird still shitin on us
    Government still quitting on us
    Lost a few homies and the grief's still sitting on us
    So we got they names written on us
    White folks still spitting on us
    And them bitch ass police k9's teeth still gritting on us
    But we smoke ashes still getting on us
    Older bitches still hitting on us
    I remember well
    BZ rolled a L, BZ ain't here
    Where's BZ at? BZ got killed
    And that was my nigga
    I go way back with my nigga
    But I know that's how it happened my nigga
    Shit is much deeper then this rapping, My nigga
    But know they all rappin, My niggas
    So now I must make it happen
    So I'm a play the captain
    Sail boat flapping
    My nigga
    No fingers I'm snapping
    Happy for my nigga lil Tagus
    Cause even though we couldnt
    The lord saved him
    Last time we seen him was when Katrina hated
    Shhh found his body like a month later
    Rest in peace boy
    He was a east boy
    And so was Wessy West
    He was a good nigga so I know he bless
    And his daughter is a princess
    This shit is harder than a bench press
    But let me keep going
    But I swear I got a lump in my throat
    But I'm a keep on pumping the flow
    So if I cry don't stop the beat
    I feel like my heart just stopped the beat
    My nigga lil Derek was quick to cop a key
    Either that or load the gat and go pop a G
    And because of that
    He's just a name in a rhyme of mine
    I pray his family in his momma's fine
    So much shit, just sit on this mind to mine
    I think about it all the time
    I drink about it all the time
    I smoke back to back
    Cause if my thoughts got to me I'd be in this rap
    Or I'll be in a can
    Thank god I had dreams of being a man
    Yeah
    And fuck a man with a badge
    Cause he ain't shit to a man on the edge
    The 5-0 killed Naudy, the good boy dead
    Man you would've thought they killed cornbread
    Shot him up face down on the lawn
    Not to mention wit his handcuffs on
    Not to mention they had plain clothes on
    And the complaint goes on
    But nobody do nothing about it
    The jail house and the morgue is to fucking crowded
    And hate is at an all time high
    Everybody gotta hater like a fucking ipod
    Shit and they tried to burn my Phantom up
    But I got my gun licenses
    I got my hammers up
    I'm ready to shoot like a ca-me-ra
    Stay still motherfucker
    I'm a have to write my will this summer
    Cause if they don't kill me
    I'm a kill this summer
    Yea
    And you can put that on my late father
    Or my late grandmother, Miss Mercedes Carter
    Or my grandfather Larry Balsock
    The old man hustled till his heart stopped
    And I know that my real pops had money
    No bank account that brown paper bag money
    Yea he might hit me off with a little brag money
    But that nigga still wouldn't be a dad for me
    But look how I turned out I hope he glad for me
    But that's why when I see him I acts mad funny
    Cause he a joke to me
    Don't message, don't call
    Don't talk to me
    It's just me and my momma
    How it suppose to be
    And I make sure she paid like she wrote for me
    And I know she gets all hope from me
    And I don't never wanna see her mope for me
    Hopefully!
    But Truthfully
    There is a day that's due for me
    But we gone pray that it's as far as the future sees
    You are listening to the future Weezy F. Baby. Amen

    ReplyDelete