Monday 22 November 2010

The "Stop the World" Moment

Every so often, a piece of music comes along which blows your mind and this for me is a "stop the world" moment. Very few of my favourite songs started out as favourites, it takes something really amazing for it to be instant for me. Then there is the other side of the coin, the "fuck me, this is terrible" moment.

At the moment, Jay-Z seems to be responsible for more airwave pollution than anybody else. The last Alicia Keys album was dreary, Beyonce hasn't done anything worthwhile since 2006 and all the while he's turning up new ever more shite artists at a rate not seen since Jonathan Rotem was doing it last year. The latest is brilliant, because she's already famous by default.

Willow Smith is the daughter of Will Smith. She's ten years old and has already been taught how to pout (see the Wikipedia picture if you don't believe me). Best of all, she's recorded a record called "Whip My Hair" on which she sings a bit between incessant blasts of an earworm so dumb that even Cher Lloyd would refuse it. Her singing isn't bad, just utterly banal. Its like having had a song written by Taylor Swift on a day when she's had writers block. She may as well be singing "tra-la-laa" all the way through.

So anyway, stop the world. I've had enough of this factory farmed American shit and i want to get off.

No comments:

Post a Comment